Ciena® Corporation (NYSE: CIEN), the network specialist, and Etihad Etisalat (Mobily), the leading Saudi ICT services provider today announced the launch of Mobily’s Advanced Connectivity Services (ACS), which is aimed at the enterprise and public sector in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA). Delivered over Mobily’s Advanced Generation fiber optic network, ACS delivers a range of packet-optical and OTN services to ensure secure, highly redundant and flexible bandwidth (scaling from 1Gbps to 1Tbps) to support cost-effective transmission of mission-critical applications.
With ACS Mobily’s financial, government, healthcare, education, information technology and manufacturing sector clients have access to ‘bandwidth-on-demand’ connectivity. By leveraging Ciena’s OPn architecture Mobily is able to adjust network capacity in real time to meet changing business needs more quickly and enable access to cloud-based services with lower latency, enhanced resiliency and lower costs. For example, this will allow an enterprise to access cloud-based services and securely coordinate IT applications, such as virtual machine (VM) migrations, improving user experience, productivity and business continuity.
- The fastest growing ICT service provider in the KSA, Mobily owns more than 40 percent of the country’s mobile market. This collaboration with Ciena enables Mobily to extract additional value from its network and can help Mobily to grow its market share in the enterprise segment.
- ACS enables high-performance applications such as storage, large databases and data warehouses, storage backup systems and recovery systems, synchronous and asynchronous network-based storage requirements. It also includes wavelength, carrier Ethernet, and private line services as well as international GDE and international IPLC.
- Mobily will leverage Ciena’s technology and expertise in enabling OTN and wavelength services, Optical and Ethernet VPNs, data center interconnection and in-flight encryption services to provide ACS. Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System, which can reduce installation and provisioning times by as much as 75 percent, supports the rapid deployment of the new service. In addition, with Ciena’s cloud-based portal feature, enterprises can also have real-time visibility and service monitoring as well as direct access to SLA reports.
- Mobily’s ACS services are enabled by the company’s next-generation network that leverages Ciena’s portfolio – including Converged Packet Optical, Optical Transport Networking, Packet Networking, and OneControl Unified Management System, as well as support from Ciena’s Network Transformation Solutions practice. Ciena and Mobily have been working together since the provider’s inception. Mobily is a member of Ciena’s BizConnect partner program. In December 2013, the two companies completed a live 1Tb/s live field trial across Riyadh in KSA.
- “Mobily has transformed the mobile market in the KSA and is equally determined to carry this change through to the enterprise connectivity market. Our partnership with Ciena is making this transformation possible; not only through its technology, but more importantly, its ability to decipher the challenges we face in our business and with our end customers and turn them into growth opportunities.”
– Mohammed Basafi, chief technology officer at Mobily
- “Enterprises and public sector organizations in the Middle East are hungry for services that are designed to their specific requirements and are easily available and scalable when needed. Mobily is making this possible, monetizing its network to offer market-leading enterprise services with the support of a network that has been purpose-built for the cloud era. Dynamic organizations will now have access to managed service offerings that quickly adapt to their ever-changing requirements as well as comprehensive OVPN and bandwidth-on-demand connectivity services.”
– Omar Alsaied, country manager and Middle East carriers sales director at Ciena