The creative communications festival hosted by the Middle East Public Relations Association (MEPRA) held its second edition in the region today, at the Fridge Warehouse in Al Serkal Avenue. The event brought together an array of speakers from different backgrounds to speak about various topics from authentic storytelling, purpose-driven marketing, new media platforms, etc.
James Lamon, head of content at Buzzfeed UK
- Always create your content keeping in mind ‘audience-first’. Your content must address the needs of a real person, they must feel connected to it.
- Social media is fragmented.
- Social media is interactive.
- Social media is deeply personal.
- Social media is audience-first.
Lydia Slaby, author, speaker, consultant
#REMAPXMEPRA | Lydia Slaby talking about thriving amidst transition and transformation in today’s fast-paced world.#BridgingTheGap RightBrain #LeftBrain #Innovation #Creativity #MEPRA@lydiaslaby pic.twitter.com/jui8lCbmXm
— MEPRA (@MEPRA_org) November 19, 2019
Ian OHan, CEO and founder at Freedom Pizza
- Convenience is commoditized but the experience is what you should care about.
- If you’re doing something that matters, you are going to get attention, which is very helpful for a business to thrive.
- Be authentic. When you’re focusing on purpose-driven campaigns, make sure the rest of the job in terms of product and service is top-notch as well.
Lucy D’Abo, communications consultant
- 8/10 people follow purpose-led brands.
- The 3 key elements of a purpose-led campaign are- To address a real problem.
– Align with the personal values of your audience.
– Take the opportunity to address a societal issue.
- Profit should be the consequence of purpose-driven campaigns and leaders should be 100% behind the purpose. Otherwise, the campaign will not work.
- The misconception is that brands believe they don’t have to be fully committed to the purpose-driven cause.
- Be Human, Be Authentic, Be Creative.
Oisin Commane, head of sustainability week Abu-Dhabi, Masdar
- There is a real business opportunity in social causes.
- Be 100% honest in your communications and goals.
- Trying to get people to change their behavior by getting them to switch to a sustainable brand/environment is a huge challenge both externally as well as internally.
Hebah Fisher, CEO, and co-founder at Kerning Cultures
- Podcasting is Media’s next growth market.
- Podcast consumers are young, educated and affluent.
- Branded content on podcasts creates a new association between brand and customer.
- While 45% of video viewers disappear after a min, 80% of listeners finish a podcast episode. Currently with these numbers, Audio is outperforming video.
- Consumers today are more in control than they’ve ever been which is why it is imperative to make content that people connect and really enjoy.
- Podcasting is one of the most effective top of the funnel content marketing platforms.
Diana Baddar, head of partnerships at Youtube
- The power of Youtube is seeing how people can use their voices to touch others.
- Youtube fuels creativity and opportunity in the MENA region.
- 60% of Youtube audience today are millennials.
- Youtube has become the second-largest search platform in the region.
Joe Burdon and Paddy Hobbs from The Romans
- The key trends in PR over the last 12 months are as follows,
- Acting with purpose.
- Involving your audience. The main reason behind involving your audience is because that’s what they want.
- Content is still king and now brands are becoming content creators.
Mandy Keegan and Jon Bramley from Dubai EXPO 2020
- By definition, the word expo means a large international exhibition to showcase new inventions.
- The number of countries participating in Expo 2020 is huge. 192 countries are participating and each country will have its own pavilion.