Meet Veronica Nipay, Media Associate at Magna Global
Veronica has been in the industry for more than five years. She comes from an IT back- ground and, being Dubai-grown, was naturally exposed to an extremely diverse set of people and cultures growing up. These, she believes, are key elements that brought her to where she is today.
Beyond achieving goals and KPIs or winning an award or two, Veronica considers that her biggest professional achievement is the trust she has earned from the people she works with and the positive influence she believes she has on people around her.
Why did you join this industry?
Coming from an IT background, my first job was technical and process-oriented. As I got my first interview for a media executive role, I was introduced to a world where creative or even crazy ideas are not only welcomed but highly appreciated, and where thriving is part of the job. This whole dynamics is what really excited me and sparked my interest.
How did you land your first job?
My first job in media. One fine day, I got a call from an HR manager who probably found me on an online job site. It was unexpected as I had not apply for the job. However, she asked what I thought about shifting from IT to advertising and I remember honestly telling her that I did not know much about media or advertising but was very keen to learn. I was called in for an interview and was asked to answer a brief and present. Even though I had no background in this field, I remember giving it my best shot.
Who do you look up to?
My elder brother, Ron. He has always been an overachiever with great values. He has achieved quite a lot for his age and yet remains the humblest person I know. Growing up, he has undeniably set one of the best examples an older sibling ever could for me and my younger brother.
What’s the best advice you have received so far?
Luck is 10% chance and 90% reacting to opportunities. Firstly, you don’t wait for an opportunity; you prepare for it by continuously improving yourself. Secondly, opportunities don’t come very often and when they do, go all in and pounce on a lucky break.
What’s the best advice you have given so far?
Invest in self-education and, most importantly, never stop learning.
How do you feel about the stigma sometimes associated with Millennials and Gen Z?
I haven’t come across any stigmas related to people’s generations. The people I work with have always contributed their hard work and unique ideas regardless of their age. Whether you are a Gen Zer, a Millennial, or a Baby Boomer, it is your work that defines you.
What do you think you specifically bring to the organization you work for?
More than knowledge or skills, it’s the positive attitude and work ethic that make a difference at the end of the day. I’ve always had a positive outlook on things, even during hard times when it requires great effort to think positively. Having this positive mindset that can influence other people is what I want to bring to any place I work for.
What’s the most valuable lesson you’ve learned at work?
I used to do everything on my own; I would always think, “It’s faster if I just do it myself.” However, I have learned that you can’t really go far alone. I have read somewhere that “There is no goal in this world that isn’t better when shared, or more attainable when pursued with a team of great people” and I think this can’t be more accurate.
What’s the most rewarding thing about your job?
Sharing knowledge, may it be digital know-how, work hacks, or tips and tricks, and even training people who are hungry to learn, is not only a pleasure but a rewarding experience.
What’s the most frustrating thing about your job?
Communication gaps, not only between myself and other people but within people themselves. By nature, many of us have the tendency to make assumptions, whether intentionally or not. And I feel that assumptions in general can be quite damaging at some point.
If not this, what would you be doing?
I would probably still be in the IT field, or I could be in a different country taking a completely different path... Who knows, life does work in mysterious ways!
Would you start your own venture in the future?
It may be too early to say, but if provided with the right opportunities and knowledge, I would love to.
Parody advertising is a double-edged sword. It can be pretty effective, but it can also backfire spectacularly. To understand what works and what doesn’t, Communicate spoke to Jaison Ben, Creative Director at Publicis Middle East, who was behind the campaign for Nescafe 3in1’s new packaging, unveiled earlier in the year. How to know when parody […]
Interested in the fast-growing gaming community in the region? Communicate spoke with Mathew Pickering, Managing Director at gaming and esports communications agency Power League Gaming, to break it down for you. What does PLG do, exactly? Power League Gaming connects brands with Arabic gaming and esports audiences, primarily across MENA, of which 30% of the […]
A little more than a year ago, Majid Al Futtaim unveiled Share, its app-based lifestyle rewards program. A few months later, Covid-19 struck. Communicate sat with Kashmira Motiwalla, Head of the Share loyalty program at Majid Al Futtaim, to discuss what that meant for the newly-launched initiative. What impact did the pandemic and the lockdowns […]
Imad Jomaa, Founder and President of Lebanon-based holding company JGroup, explains how he sees programmatic in light of JGroup’s recent investment in FoxPush, a Dubai-based full-stack solution for publishers and digital advertisers. How fast is the programmatic ad market growing in the region and what is driving this growth? Programmatic advertising is growing rapidly across […]